Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Girl Scout Cookies and Snow...

Yes that's right...SNOW. Let's start with that, shall we? Now, I am not a moron, I understand that I moved to New York and that means I am going to be dealing with my fair share of snow in the winters. What I was not expecting was that I would be dealing with it in late March. Wednesday, as I was heading into the city on my quest for Girl Scout Cookies (which we'll get to), I found myself dealing with snow/hail/sleet/slush/all of the above smacking me in the face. And it wasn't even pretty snow...just enough to make a gross gray sludge on the ground. Keep in mind that it is about a 10 minute walk to the subway station, so I was pretty soaked and frozen by the time I made it there. Needless to say, I was missing Texas pretty bad that day. (Don't worry, I bought some rain boots today so at least I'll be a little more prepared for the snow in the forecast this week).

I tried to get a picture out my window of the snow falling, but it didn't really work. This is the best I could do. You can see it on the cars below.


Anyhow, once I got to the subway station, I noticed that there was some sort of police investigation going on. I was trying to take this picture discreetly, as not to draw attention to myself, but this guy and a cop were taking pictures of the ground behind the caution tape. No idea what happened. Probably something stupid - nobody really seemed too concerned.

But enough about that. My main goal in the city that day was to find Girl Scout Cookies (heretofore known as GSC's). Yeah, you thought you were going to finally read a blog of mine that was not about food...well, YOU WERE WRONG. Now, I love me some GSC's. I actually tried to buy some before I left Texas to bring with me, but the kids at the CVS were out of Thin Mints. I found this so preposterous that I refused to buy any cookies from those imbeciles. (I am, of course kidding - I mean, not about refusing, just the imbecile part. I have no beef with the Girl Scouts).

My roommate Leticia had heard that you could actually buy GSC's at the GS headquarters/main office in Manhattan. I figured it was worth a shot, so I looked it up, and I headed to 23rd Street. The Girl Scout offices are in a very upscale looking high rise with tons of other companies that is not really labeled. Lest you forget the beginning of this post, I look like a drowned rat. But I had to remember my mission. I walked into the building, and there is a very official-looking man sitting behind a reception desk. He asked if he could help me, and I said, "Um, yes, I was looking for some Girl Scout Cookies." And then he laughed at me (this was not in my imagination), but he directed me to the 6th floor.

Luckily, upon arriving on said 6th floor, there was a sign that said "COOKIES" with an arrow. So I wasn't the only poor schmuck who had set out on this mission. Once I made it to the cookie room, it was smooth sailing. There was a really nice lady who helped me purchase my 4 boxes (don't judge) of cookies, and I was on my way. I'm fairly certain I heard the reception guy snickering on my way out.

But it was all worth it when Sara, Leticia, and I enjoyed some tasty GSC's while watching The Biggest Loser that night. (Again, don't judge.) Thin Mints have never tasted so good.

Check back soon for details on my first house guest and my first celebrity sighting! You knew it was only a matter of time with my penchance for running into famous people.



I'll leave you with a couple of pictures I took in my neighborhood on Saturday.

Bet you thought this was just a Texas thing...apparently, New York also likes to torture people in terrible weather for the sake of income taxes.


New York requires restaurants to put calorie counts on all their menus. Kind of takes all the fun out of fast food, doesn't it?

4 comments:

  1. How many calories are in the Thin Mint GSCs? Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch! I don't even want to know. I like to pretend that they are a low-calorie treat. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH NO! I'm so ashamed. Correcting right now.

    Thank you, grammar police. :-) (That is genuine, not sarcastic).

    ReplyDelete